Common Hall

The Common Hall of the Academica Septima Superior contains the feasting hall and kitchens, the library and vis stores, and accommodation for the majority of the covenfolk. It is, without a doubt, the most important building in the covenant.

History

Such records as are available suggest that the Common Hall was first constructed in the tenth century, after the demolition of several laboratories during a botched attempt to summon a planetary spirit. Its initial purpose is unclear, but it has been used as a communal gathering place for at least a century, and probably significantly longer.

The Old Hall

The magi who arrived in 1220 found the hall, for all its obvious want of maintenance, very much as it had been for centuries. Built with stone walls, a thatched roof and stout, iron-bound doors, it could have housed anyone from Vecingetorix to Charlemagne without seeming inappropriate. A central fire pit provided warmth and illumination (and, during feasts, a space to roast whole beasts), and a hole in the centre of the roof let out smoke (and much of the heat). Covenfolk slept by (or on) long tables, with higher status ensuring a position closer to the fire.

The kitchens contained a storeroom that had, at some point in the past, been enchanted to preserve all meat, grain and fruit placed within it. This probably accounts for the good health of the covenfolk despite what must have been an uncertain food supply during the covenant's wanderings.

Re-inhabitation

Following the covenant's occupation by a new generation of magi, the old hall was repaired and came to be the spiritual centre of the covenant, housing both the servants and important visitors such as Lady Jaqueline de Lacey, Lord Wolfgang von Richthofen and Sir Gilbert the Stalwart.

Following an altercation with the MacArawn goblins, the faeries returned a barrel to the Academica that remains full of dark ale no matter how much is removed. The barrel is opened every evening in a mock ceremony by the autocrat and sergeant of the guard, as a sign that work for the day has finished.

Renovation

The years 1224-1226 were a time of rapid expansion for the Academica. The hall was extended to include a dedicated library and scriptorium, as well as servants quarters and barracks for the guards. Fireplaces with chimneys were installed to provide safer heating, though the fire pit still sees use on feast days.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License